Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge
“80% of children ages 6–17 agree that summer reading will help them during the school year.”
—Kids & Family Reading Report™, 6th edition
Jump to Section
- Bestselling Author Dav Pilkey Donates 500 New Scholastic Books to One School in Each State to Jumpstart Summer Reading
- Schools, Families, Libraries and Community Partners Can Encourage Kids to Take a Reading Adventure With the 2017 Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge
- Children in Texas, Florida, Louisana, Pennsylvania and Georgia Logged the Most Reading Minutes in the 2016 Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge
- 39 Gubernatorial Spouses, 3 Governors and 1 Lt. Governor Join the 2016 Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge to Get Kids Reading
- Scholastic Brings Summer Reading to Communities Nationwide with First-Ever, 10,000 Mile "Summer Reading Road Trip"
- Author Dav Pilkey Gives a New Book to Every Student at 50 Schools Nationwide for Summer Reading
- Scholastic Leaps Into Summer Reading With 2016 Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge and Nationwide Reading Road Trip
- Children in Texas, Florida, New York, New Jersey and North Carolina Logged the Most Reading Minutes in the 2015 Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge
- Favorite Children's Authors Come Together to Get Kids Reading This Summer
- Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge Student Registration Opens Today As Educators Help Stop the "Summer Slide"
- Kids Set a New World Record – Reading 304,749,681 Minutes in the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge
- U.S. Governors and Governors’ Spouses Sign On as Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge "Reading Ambassadors"
- Parents: Free Summer Reading Resources for the Whole Family
- 2014 Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge Launches Today, Free Program for Schools and Families to Prevent the "Summer Slide"
- Scholastic Launches Classroom and School-wide Registration for Students to Join the Biggest Summer Reading Challenge Ever
- Kids Set a New World Record for Summer Reading with 176,438,473 Minutes Read
What is the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge?
- The 2017 Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge is a free online reading program designed to help kids turn the “summer slide”—the learning loss which can occur over the summer months—into a “summer leap” by discovering the power and joy of reading for fun.
- This year’s theme is “Happy Camper: Take a Reading Adventure,” which comes to life on the website with custom Dog Man illustrations from bestselling Captain Underpants creator Dav Pilkey, and other beloved Scholastic character illustrations, including Clifford the Big Red Dog®, Harry Potter, Geronimo Stilton and Ms. Frizzle.
- Bestselling author Dav Pilkey (Captain Underpants and the Dog Man series), has once again signed on as the Scholastic Summer Reading Global Ambassador.
- In 2016, Scholastic inspired more than 250,000 kids from 5,154 schools in all 50 States and 25 countries to read a total of 204,594,918 minutes!
- March 15th–April 14th: Dav Pilkey Summer Reading Educator Contest
- April 3rd: Educator, Library and Community Partner Pre-Registration
- May 8th–September 8th: The Challenge Begins! Log Your Reading Minutes
- May 6th–July 26th: Summer Reading Road Trip
- September 27th: “Best in State” and Library and Community Partner Recognition
- The top school in each U.S. state, territory, and the District of Columbia that has logged the most reading minutes will be named Best in State. These top schools will also receive:
- An official Scholastic “Best in State” “Party in a Box” kit that includes a school plaque, congratulatory banner, student certificates and other items that can be used to host a literacy celebration
- A highlight in the 2018 Scholastic Book of World Records
- This year, special recognition will be given to the top five libraries and community partner organizations nationwide with the most minutes read
- Kids can log their reading minutes online to earn digital prizes when they complete weekly reading challenges and gain access to 18 reading activities, including games, quizzes and videos based on popular children’s books
- Kids can also enter a sweepstakes to win books from Klutz!
- Educators can sign up and bulk-register their students (up to 100 at once) to participate.
- Sweepstakes: Educators can enter the Dav Pilkey Summer Reading Educator Contest for a chance to win 500 books for their school. One school in each U.S. state, territory and in the District of Columbia will be selected to win an array of popular, age-appropriate Scholastic titles. The contest ends April 14, 2017. For more details and rules, please click here.
- One-stop shopping: Once registered, educators can visit their dashboard to manage their class list, access downloadable email to send to parents, and track their students’ progress throughout the summer.
- Age-specific book lists: This year's suggestions include ages 0-2, 3-5, 6-7, 8-10, 11-13 and Young Adult. We also have Spanish language titles for all age groups.
- Free resources: Educators can download free activity sheets, reading certificates, reading pledges, reading logs and more.
- How-to registration video tutorial for educators: coming soon!
- Families can sign kids up to participate in the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge and can track reading progress all summer.
- Access free Summer Reading Challenge Participation Guides for book lists, expert resources, activity sheets, and more.
- Age-specific book lists: This year's suggestions include ages 0–2, 3–5, 6–7, 8–10, 11-13 and Young Adult. We also have Spanish language titles for all age groups.
- How-to registration video tutorial for parents: coming soon!
For Libraries/Community Partners:
- Libraries and community partners can pre-register participating student groups for the Summer Reading Challenge
- Free summer reading resources and booklists across all ages are available in both English and Spanish
- How-to registration video tutorial for libraries and community partners: coming soon!
- For the ninth year, U.S. Governors’ Spouses will be invited to serve as “Reading Ambassadors” to help spread the important message about reading books over the summer.
- Learn more about the 2017 Reading Ambassadors.
Starting May 6, 2017, Scholastic is hitting the road for a second year with two Scholastic Summer Reading Road Trip RVs that will visit bookstores, schools and libraries across the country.
- The RVs will visit cities nationwide throughout the summer. Kids and families can visit the “pop-up” reading community events, meet some of their favorite authors and illustrators, and engage in fun reading activities.
- Parents and educators can follow the progress of the Scholastic Summer Reading Road Trip on social media via #SummerReading, and and online at readingroadtrip.scholastic.com.
Right-click, Save as to download a hi-res version
The Summer Reading Road Trip RV
Facts and Overview:
- Facts About Summer Reading
- Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge Overview
- Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge logo (JPG)
Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge Booklists:
For instructional videos on how to sign up for the Summer Reading Challenge, visit our YouTube channel here.
- Kids Read More Than 100 Million Minutes and Break the World Record for Summer Reading
- U.S. Governors and Governors’ Spouses Encourage Kids to Read Every Day as Scholastic Summer Challenge "Reading Ambassadors"
- Everyone’s a Winner This Summer: Kids Read, Parents Get a Free Kids eBook, Top School Gets a Visit from Dav Pilkey
- Students Compete in the Ultimate Summer Reading Challenge to Set a New World Record in Reading, Keep Skills Sharp all Summer
- Kids Set a New World Record of 95,859,491 Minutes Read in Summer 2012
- U.S. Governors’ Spouses Sign On as “Reading Ambassadors” to Encourage Kids to Read Every Day this Summer
- Get Ready to Set a New Scholastic World Record for Summer Reading
- Twenty Schools from Eleven States to Appear in 2012 Scholastic Book of World Records for Most Reading Minutes Logged
- Kids Around the World Set a New Scholastic World Record Reading More Than 53 Million Minutes!