Scholastic Book Fairs
“Thank you Scholastic for making books so affordable and having such a great variety. At our school, book fairs have made reading more popular.”
— Heather H., Media Specialist, Andover Central School, Andover, KS
Jump to Section
- LitWorld and Scholastic Celebrate World Read Aloud Day with Educators and Families
- More than 33,000 Students from 80 Schools Worldwide will Receive 10 Free Books this School Year Through My Very Own Library and Scholastic Book Fairs
- LitWorld Teams Up with Scholastic to Launch the Biggest World Read Aloud Day Celebration Ever
- My Very Own Library and Scholastic Book Fairs Give Low-Income Students the Chance to Choose Books for Free and Build Home Libraries
- Scholastic Possible Fund to Donate 25,000 Books to be Distributed Through Reading Road Trip Program
- New, Free Scholastic Book Fairs App Helps Parents Find the Right Children's Book in a Snap
About Scholastic Book Fairs
Each year Scholastic Book Fairs, in partnership with schools across the country, hosts more than 129,000 book-sale events that give more than 40 million students and their families’ access to thousands of affordable books and educational products, helping foster a lifelong love of reading.
School and parent volunteers work with Scholastic Book Fair representatives to organize these weeklong events at school, where children can peruse and purchase their favorite books. From its nationwide network of more than 50 warehouses and customer service facilities, Scholastic delivers its fairs to schools, with the majority of books arranged in mobile, easy-to-access cases. Books are displayed face-front and grouped by age or grade-level, so it’s easy for kids to find characters and subjects they love and want to read about. Scholastic also provides planning materials, promotional tools and merchandising displays to help the school create an exciting bookstore environment.
Scholastic Book Fairs’ team of book experts – former educators, booksellers and book fair veterans – reviews thousands of titles from hundreds of publishers each year, and every Scholastic Book Fair offers a new assortment of books for the fall and spring seasons and consistently includes the latest award winners and most popular books, often in exclusive book fair-only editions.
At the end of the fair, the school is awarded either a percentage of the revenue or books and educational materials. In 2014-2015, Scholastic Book Fairs helped generate more than $195 million in funds for school projects and classroom materials.
Through Scholastic Book Fairs’ All for Books® program, local businesses, community members, and parents can make donations to schools in their neighborhood to help buy books for school libraries and to purchase books for students who otherwise would not be able to afford them. Through the Scholastic Possible Fund, Scholastic Book Fairs matches the contributions with a donation of up to one million dollars in books to the Kids In Need Foundation, Reader to Reader, Inc., the National Center for Families Learning, and other organizations that help children in underserved communities.
Research and Success
Scholastic firmly stands behind the cause of increasing access to books today as much as we have since we were founded nearly 95 years ago with the mission to encourage the intellectual and personal growth of all children, beginning with literacy. Scholastic Book Fairs depends on collaborations with schools across the country to be able to pursue its mission of ensuring that children in every community have access to books and learn to love to read.
- According to the Kids & Family Reading Report, 5th edition from Scholastic, 90% of kids ages 6 to 17 say they are more likely to finish a book they have picked out themselves. In addition, having books in the home is a more significant indicator than family income in determining whether a child will be a frequent reader.
- According to the journal Research in Social Stratification and Mobility home library size has a very substantial effect on educational attainment.
In the News
Scholastic to expand free book program to Wilmington
December 4, 2015
Become a better reader
December 1, 2015
Book fair promotes love of reading in preschool
October 27, 2015
OLMC hosts fun family night in Boonton
October 21, 2015
Group of Pittsford Mendon Students Win National Book-Writing Contest
Time Warner Cable News
October 1, 2015
Randy Chapman: We should remember reading is a gift
September 23, 2015
When an NBA all-star from South L.A. comes home
August 25, 2015
Book fairs offer more than just great books
The Elkhart Truth
March 11, 2014
6 things you didn’t know about Scholastic, the largest children’s book publisher in the world
November 12, 2014
Digital App Connects Parents And Book Info At Scholastic Book Fairs
Digital Book World
November 13, 2013