“The Spouses' Leadership Committee and I champion reading as a basic tool for success in school, work, and throughout life. When my children were young, one of our favorite activities was reading together. Now, I love reading to my grandchildren. The Scholastic Summer Reading program provides endless possibilities.”
— 2016 First Lady of Utah Jeanette Herbert, Chair of Governors’ Spouses’ Program for the National Governors Association
- 39 Gubernatorial Spouses, 3 Governors and 1 Lt. Governor Join the 2016 Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge to Get Kids Reading
- 44 Governors' Spouses and Four U.S. Governors Sign on as "Reading Ambassadors" for 2015 Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge
- U.S. Governors and Governors’ Spouses Sign On as Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge "Reading Ambassadors"
- U.S. Governors and Governors’ Spouses Encourage Kids to Read Every Day as Scholastic Summer Challenge "Reading Ambassadors"
- U.S. Governors’ Spouses Sign On as “Reading Ambassadors” to Encourage Kids to Read Every Day this Summer
What do Reading Ambassadors do?
The Scholastic Summer Challenge invites U.S. Governors and Governors’ Spouses to serve as Reading Ambassadors to emphasize the importance of literacy for all children in their respective states. For the past seven years, Governors and Governors’ Spouses have come together as Reading Ambassadors of the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge to send a powerful message to the students, educators, and parents in their states about the importance of reading over the summer months.
The Reading Ambassadors play an integral part in the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge. By pledging to reinforce the importance of summer reading—and the majority committing to hold summer reading events at a local school or library in their state—the Reading Ambassadors help slow the “summer slide” – the learning losses that occur during the summer months when school is not in session.
Reading Ambassadors support families and schools in their states by:
- Sending a message that summer reading is critical to our children’s success;
- Making the home-to-school connection during the transitional summer months;
- Putting books directly into the hands of children who may not otherwise have access;
- Encouraging students and families to read every day and read aloud together.
- The Scholastic Summer Challenge logo (JPG)
- The Scholastic Summer Challenge logo in Spanish (JPG)
- Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge Minute Map
- Booklist for All Ages (PDF)
- Booklist for All Ages (Spanish) (PDF)
2016 Reading Ambassadors
2016 Reading Ambassadors
- Alabama – Governor Robert Bentley
- Alaska – First Lady Donna Walker
- American Samoa – First Lady Cynthia Malala Moliga
- Arizona – First Lady Angela Ducey
- Arkansas – First Lady Susan Hutchinson
- Connecticut – First Lady Cathy Malloy
- Georgia – First Lady Sandra Deal
- Hawaii – First Lady Dawn Amano-Ige
- Idaho – First Lady Lori Otter
- Illinois – First Lady Diana Rauner
- Iowa – First Lady Christine Branstad
- Kansas – First Lady Mary Brownback
- Kentucky – First Lady Glenna Bevin
- Maine – First Lady Ann LePage
- Maryland – First Lady Yumi Hogan
- Massachusetts – First Lady Lauren Baker
- Michigan – First Lady Sue Snyder
- Minnesota – Governor Mark Dayton
- Mississippi – First Lady Deborah Bryant
- Missouri – First Lady Georganne Nixon
- Montana – First Lady Lisa Bullock
- Nevada – First Lady Kathleen Sandoval
- New Hampshire – First Gentleman Thomas Hassan
- New Jersey – First Lady Mary Pat Christie
- New Mexico – First Gentleman Chuck Franco
- New York – Lt. Governor Kathy Hochul
- North Carolina – First Lady Ann McCrory
- North Dakota – First Lady Betsy Dalrymple
- Ohio – First Lady Karen Kasich
- Oklahoma – First Gentleman Wade Christensen
- Oregon – First Gentleman Dan Little
- Pennsylvania – First Lady Frances Wolf
- Rhode Island – First Gentleman Andy Moffit
- South Dakota – First Lady Linda Daugaard
- Tennessee – First Lady Crissy Haslam
- Texas – First Lady Cecilia Abbott
- U.S. Virgin Islands – Governor Kenneth Mapp
- Utah – First Lady Jeanette Herbert
- Virginia – First Lady Dorothy McAuliffe
- Washington – First Lady Trudi Inslee
- West Virginia – First Lady Joanne Tomblin
- Wisconsin – First Lady Tonette Walker
- Wyoming – First Lady Carol Mead
Summer Reading Event Photos
Highlights from last year's Scholastic Summer Challenge Reading Ambassadors Program
- Over the past seven summers, the participation of the Governors’ Spouses in the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge has resulted in nearly 150,000 books being donated to children across the continental U.S. and its outlying territories.
- In the summer of 2016, 39 Governors’ Spouses, 3 Governors, and 1 Lt. Governor signed on as Reading Ambassadors, donating more than 21,500 books to schools nationwide.
- In 2016, 250,000 kids from all 50 states and 25 countries registered and read more than 204 MILLION minutes!