“When it’s a byrd, or a plain and able to leap the good graces of grammar, I’ll be there to correct it, as well as fight against villains bent on ‘word’ domination.”
WordGirl, definition dynamo and caped crusader
(a.k.a. Becky Botsford, mild-mannered fifth grader…shhh!)
Tricks and Treats DVD
- WordGirl is a an original animated series that can be seen across multiple media platforms: a show that airs daily on PBS Kids, a robust Website (www.pbskidsgo.org/wordgirl), a top educational iPhone application ("WordGirl’s Word Hunt"), and content available online anytime at PBS’ kid- friendly broadband site (http://pbskids.org/go/video/). With every new word featured and defined, the series is getting closer to our goal of enriching kids’ vocabularies.
- Action, adventure, and comedy fill every episode as WordGirl twists and parodies traditional comic book conventions. When WordGirl crash-landed on Earth (from the Planet Lexicon) she made an impact with more than just her spaceship. Her many impressive talents: super-strength, super-hearing, the ability to fly, and a super vocabulary make her stand out among today’s well-known superheroes. She's an eloquent and powerful role model for young girls.
- Behind the fun and action of the WordGirl stories, the show has a core educational goal: to enhance vocabulary. Based on research by Beck, McKeown and Kucan, "Bringing Words to Life", each eleven-minute episode of WordGirl introduces two new words in a variety of contexts. These words are deliberately sophisticated yet highly usable, and sometimes they're just plain fun to say (i.e. flabbergasted, gibberish, incognito). The landmark study by Risley and Hart, "Meaningful Differences", cited that kids who grow up in language-rich environments have a leg up in terms of reading comprehension, academic performance and success in life. However, vocabulary acquisition differs widely depending on socio-economic-status. WordGirl helps to close the gap and to fortify literacy and academic success for all school-age children.
What is WordGirl?
- The critically acclaimed show produced by Scholastic Media is seen five days weekly on PBS KIDS GO!
- WordGirl is a 2008 Daytime Emmy Award Winner for Outstanding Writing in Animation.
- WordGirl products include DVDs from Paramount, comic books from BOOM Studios, board games and puzzles from Briarpatch and costumes from Celebration Express. In addition, Scholastic has released WordGirl Books based on the series and the WordGirl Word Hunt App for the iPhone™ and iPod Touch®.
- Registration for the third annual WordGirl Definition Competition begins on March 13, 2012 and the webcast event is on May 1, 2012.
- The WordGirl series has been sold to more than 35 countries in 9 languages.
- 2012 Gracie Award in Outstanding Children’s Animated Program category
- 2011 Daytime Emmy Nomination in two categories: “Outstanding Writing in Animation” and “Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing”
- 2011 Gracie Award in Outstanding Children’s Animated Program category
- 2011 KIDS FIRST! Endorsement
- 2011 Telly Silver Award
- 2010 KidScreen Award for Best Voice Talent
- 2010 Emmy Nomination in three categories: “Outstanding Children’s Animated Performance,” “Outstanding Performer in an Animated Program,” and “Outstanding Writing in Animation”
- Selected to be part of the fourth quarter KIDS FIRST! Film Festival 2009
- A Finalist Certificate in the New York Festivals’ 2009 TV Programming & Promotion Awards
- 2009 iParenting Media Award for the Best Product in the television category
- 2009 Gracie Award in the Outstanding Programming for Children category
- A Parents’ Choice 2009 Silver Honor Award winner
- 2009 Silver Telly Award in the Children’s Television category
- 2009 Emmy Award nomination for Best Direction in an Animated Series (David SanAngelo)
- New York Festival’s “World’s Best” Silver World Medal in Children’s Program category
- 2008 Pulcinella Award Official Selection to be part of International Showcase at CARTOONS ON THE BAY
- 2008 Parents’ Choice Award Recommended
- 2008 Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing in Animation
- 2008 TCA Award for Outstanding Achievement in Children's Programming
- 2010 W3 Silver Award in the Television Website Category
- 2009 The National Parenting Center’s Seal of Approval
- 2009 Learning Magazine Teachers’ Choice Award for the Family winner
- Nominated as a finalist in the “Kids—Best Companion Website Category” of the KidScreen Awards
- Finalist for the PRIX JEUNESSE INTERNATIONAL 2008 Interactivity Prize
- 2008 Parents’ Choice Recommended award winner
- 2008 National Parenting Publications (NAPPA) Gold Award
- 2008 W3 Gold Award Winner in the Children’s Website category
- 2010 KIDS FIRST! Endorsement and for WordGirl Earth Day Girl DVD
- 2010 KIDS FIRST! Endorsement for WordGirl Tricks and Treats DVD
- WordGirl Tricks & Treats selected to be part of the fourth quarter KIDS FIRST! Film Festival 2010
- Nominated by Babble’s readers as one of the Best iPhone Apps for Kids
The Rise of Miss Power! Special Episode
WordGirl Definition CompetitionLogo
923 x 319 pixel JPG, 197 KB
2803 x 678 pixel JPG, 540 KB
3,000 x 2,025 pixel JPGs, about 500 KB each
Click low-res images below for full size